Monday, September 28, 2015


Style Academy/GASCAP Assignment

For the style academy assignment for my opinion editorial, I combined some of my sentences in the second and third paragraph of my essay. I incorporated a semi-colon in a sentence where I was talking about my brother, which I believe added a level of intelligence to my essay. I also combined two sentences that were talking about similar things and reworded them so that it would flow easier. I have noticed that combining these sentences has made my paper more succinct and makes it have a better flow to it. I also tried placing a dash into one of my sentences in the second paragraph-a punctuation mark that I feel adds sophistication to my writing. Using punctuation marks such as the semi-colon and the dash make me feel as if I have further developed as a writer, and it also helps me combine my sentences.

 In my essay I also employed a lot of analogy while giving examples of my brother’s experiences in his school, and in the community and showed that even though BYU does not have a special education program, we can still help out those with special needs through community based services and activities. I feel that stories are a good way to appeal to the reader’s emotions, and by telling real-life stories and connecting them to BYU are a good way to incorporate analogy into my paper. One of the GASCAP elements that I should strive to put into my essays more is the concept of principle, which I feel would give my audience a sense of needing to fix the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment